Now if you've never preserved and you'd like to start with something SUPER easy, this might be for you. This list of ingredients fills about 1 litres of jar - so if you want to start small, divide the recipe in half.
What you'll need:
- 9 regular size lemons (meyer lemons are best but any lemon is fine, just make sure it is scrubbed/clean and doesn't have too thick a skin)
- 2/3 cup salt flakes (un-iodised salt works best)
- Olive oil
Sterilise your jars -Preheat your oven to 110degc . Then immerse your jars in pot of cold water (take rubber rims off if your jars have them) and bring them to the boil for 10 minutes.
- Transfer them with tongs to a baking tray with a teatowel on it. Dry in oven for 15 minutes.
- Cut 4 of your lemons in 8 wedges each and then mix in a bowl with your salt.
- Squeeze the remaining 5 lemons into a bowl/jug.
- Tansfer salted wedges into sterlised jars and fill only to bottom of rim, and then add the lemon juice just to cover the lemons.
- Wipe any salt, lemon off the rim of jar and seal.
Keep somewhere you will frequent every day (i.e. near the washing machine/toaster etc) and shake every day for 7 days. Then open, top up with olive oil and they'll be ready in 30 days.
Print this post in friendly format