- To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes!
- If you accidentally over-salt a dish while it’s still cooking, drop in a peeled potato-it absorbs the excess salt for an instant “fix me up.”
- Avoid storing potatoes with onions because, when close together, they produce gases that spoil both.
- To help prevent sprouting and rot, try putting some dried sprigs of sage, rosemary, and/or lavender in with the potatoes. The oils in these herbs help to suppress sprouting and inhibit the growth of bacteria that can cause potatoes to rot.
- Zap garlic cloves in the microwave for 15 seconds and the skins slip right off!
- Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator it will keep for weeks!
- Save celery leaves. Spread them out on paper towels or a paper plate and let them dry. Crumble them into soups, salads and stuffings ( I knew this actually but wanted to let you know because it is delicious sprinkled on a roast too!)
Print this post in friendly format