Thursday, February 25
Whoohoo I am making progress, here's a quick update!
1. Sushi, never made it, love to eat it.
[FEB] Yes!! Have made it (Feb) It's one of those things with more practice you get better at I'm sure but I'm proud of my first attempt! It was edible!
2. Baklava - scared to bugger it up, but I'm going to give it a try
found a fabulous recipe - and I think I'm not far off making this one!
3. Brioche - an indulgence, but something I want to make for easter this year
I have the recipe I want to use.. bring on easter!
4. Pastry - want to make some pies and tarts this year - making pastry from scratch
I'm on the lookout for the pie tins I want (and pie weights too) am looking forward to this!
[FEB] I have so far made a cheaty sweet/savoury shortcrust here for mini apple pies - more to come though!
5. Preserve more. I want to preserve 6 things I never have before
OK, I've done some of this!
[FEB] I have some green tomatoes and in the freezer some stoned cherries, plums and peaches, and also loads of strawberries to do something with - and let's not forget all the apples from our recent apple picking - more to come, promise!
[JAN] Preserving Pesto
[JAN] Home-made spicy tomato sauce (ketchup)
[JAN] Sweet Pickled Cherry Tomatoes
[JAN] Easy and Versatile Plum Jam
6. Fondue - I used to make this on a regular basis but haven't for years - going to have a fondue party this year - I've got two fondue pots needing to be utilised.
I think this will be a winter dinner party - perhaps my birthday?
7. Pasta - I want to get the macaroni/pasta maker kitchenaid attachment and dry some pasta, I know it's cheap to buy the pre-made stuff but I'd like to have a go at least.
Money permitting! I think in the latter half of the year
8. Try 3 Julia Child recipes this year
I think this will be winter endeavour also
9. Make sausages from scratch
Looking forward to this, must start scouting out some ingredients/recipes
10. Discover at least two more direct sources of produce - maybe a few roadtrips are in order. (Hey maybe Lorraine will do the easter chocolate tour!!??!! *blatant hint*)
[FEB] We went on a roadtrip this month (Feb) to Bilpin Springs Orchard (open from late Jan to June each year) and found a direct source of apples, limes, pears, peaches, plums and figs (and blueberries in the future)
Print this post in friendly format