I'm a bit rhymy today aren't I?
Well today I'm sharing some news from my friends at Ikea. They have today released the Play Report, the largest global study into child development and play, which reveals how Australian parents, and kids feel about the world today and the effects of play on family life.
I've had a read through it and found the following parts quite fascinating:
FAMILY AND FOOD
- 68% of Australian kids would prefer to spend more time baking with Mum and Dad - yet only 50% of parents see cooking or baking as good for creativity.
- 85% (58% strongly) believe that it is important for the development of their child/ren for the family to eat together at mealtimes.
- 91% (59% strongly) believe their children should learn about food and nutrition at home
- Time pressured working Mums though placed slightly less (by 2%) emphasis on meals together
Are you surprised by any of these results? Do you think Masterchef has something to do with the first statistic or is it that kids want to spend time with parents doing what they think is fun?
PLAYING WITH OUR KIDS
- Almost half (46%) of parents feel that they don’t have enough time to play with their children
- Over half (52%) of Aussie parents say that they often feel guilty that they are not spending enough time with their kids
- 70% of Aussie parents would like more time to just ‘chill out’ with their children
- But most interesting (to me anyways) was that 74% (that's almost three of any four of us!) feel that they should be doing more to encourage creativity at home.
Are we too afraid of mess (I know I have a intense hatred of glitter....) or is that we've forgotten how to play with our kids? How down and dirty do you get? Do you bake or cook with your kids or is that something that worries you (in terms of danger in the kitchen or mess again)?
Ikea and I would love to hear your thoughts on the two questions I've just asked - so much so Ikea are going to give away 5 of their NEW Duktig 14 piece vegetable sets - (Something for you to play with too!)
- Answer one of the 2 questions above (or both in separate comments for 2 entries!)
- Share this post on Twitter or Facebook for an extra entry*
Entries close this Sunday 7th November at midnight
Entries open to those with Australian postal addresses only.
* please quote @frillyhills on twitter and post on the Frills in the Hills Wall or the Ikea Facebook Wall so we can Identify the entries.
Print this post in friendly format